Parish Church of S. Maria Nascente
2006 - 2010 Built
Work carried out
Concept, Design Development and Work Management
Liturgic adjustment ecclesial hall 600 sqm; new pavement; auditorium; bar and
The church, dedicated to Maria Nascente and presently subject to restriction by the
environmental and architectonic assets service of Milan, is fruit of a national competition
announced by the VIII Triennale in 1947, which was won by Vico Magistretti and Mario
Tedeschi. The Santa Maria Nascente church is over 50 years old, and, even if on the whole it is in a good state of preservation, in reality it is subject to a technological degradation,
besides to wear and lack of internal hygrothermal comfort. The new project provides the joint presence of different activities distributed on two levels: place of cult on the ground floor and new distribution of the spaces inside the basement.
The intervention therefore aims at proposing a new system of relations and functions that
link the activities of the parish and of the catechesis with free time, cultural activities and services, with a user even outside the parish. In fact, a new entrance directly on Via Isernia, equipped with autonomous access, is added to the direct access stair to the basement which leads to the ambit closely linked to the oratory. Furthermore, the vocation of cine-theatre of the basement is protected and re-proposed, but with a meaning in accordance with the present regulations.
A new direct and independent entrance will instead be constructed from the side opposite
the existing one to permit access to the new hall of the community. To make the descent to the basement more pleasant the sides of the stairs will be terraced and planted with low shrubs and grass. On the roof of the low building a skylight will also be constructed to drawing, to illuminate with natural light the stairs that lead to the basement, creating a source of light at full height which illuminates the access foyer.
Work carried out